Solarbotics Sumovore Mini Sumo Robot Kit – SOL-KSV
The Solarbotics Sumovore Mini Sumo Robot Kit is a strong, modular design with over 500 man-hours of development and 21 prototypes behind it. It has more power, speed, and is less expensive than the Junun Mark III, Parallax Mini-Sumo, and Tab SumoBot.
This kit features:
- Powerful GM8 gear motors powered by a robust L293D motor driver
- Four opto-reflector edge sensors (fifth edge sensor position available when using microprocessor brainboard)
- Two 38kHz IR emitters and detectors for opponent detection
- 6AA power supply
- Steel frame for easy assembly
- Modular brain boards (discrete brainboard included, BS2 / Atmel / Stamp Stack brainboards extra)
- Discrete brainboard “Anti Sumo-dance” behavior (stops two sumos from spinning around each other)
- Discrete brainboard “Anti edge-ram” behavior (stops dual edge triggers resulting in repeated edge-charging)
- Discrete brainboard offers selectable sumo/line-follower modes
- Multiple trimpots for simple behavior tuning
- Modular front edge sensor / IR transmitter daughterboard
- 345 grams “batteries-in” finished weight (6 x AA batteries not included)
- Powder-coated front Steel (not Aluminum) plates available in several colours
- Multiple wheel colours available
- 32-page detailed instruction document also contains full electronic schematics, both logical and symbolic for custom modifications
Extra options include:
- Rear-looking IR detector and emitter – great for active or passive searching.
- Atmel Mega8L brainboard with additional breadboard space.
- PIC 16F877 brainboard with additional breadboard space.
- BS2 brainboard to accommodate 24-pin BS2-compatible family of microprocessors (BS2 not included).
- HVWTech Stamp-Stack Basic Stamp 2 clone board (mates with BS2 brainboard).
Also be sure to check out the Yahoo! Sumovore Mailing List
- Besides offering support regarding building, tuning, programming (for the microcontroller add-ons), we hope to see lots of cool Sumovore hacks!
Solarbotics started as a company specializing in kits based on BEAM technology, which meant building simple, effective devices using (often) strange ways. They learned early on that the documentation is not something to do poorly, so you’ll find that their kits come with very complete instructions with many, many photos.
Solarbotics uses quality components, and clever circuit board design to make your build as successful as possible
- Ages 15 and up – previous kit building experience required (advanced)
- Clear illustrated directions – soldering required
- Includes DC motor, and all necessary parts
- Size: 33.0 x 4.0 x 23.0 cm
- Tools Required: Typical hand and soldering tools
- 6 AA Batteries Not Included
Video of Solarbotics Sumovore Mini Sumo Robot Kit in action: